Thursday, May 29, 2008

New doctor

Sunday, May 25, 2008

New doctor! :)
Hope everyone has a wonderful Memorial Day weekend!

Nothing like mowing grass, hanging up the American Flag, BBQ'ing, watching the Indy 500, and just hanging out and having a good time.

My nausea is still flared up. I ended up taking phenergan, zofran, then phenergan, then zofran with Ativan again in a little over 3 hours. I don't know why the nausea is flared up. But I don't like it!

Friday, May 23rd. I had my appointment with Dr. Allison Hunt, at 2pm in Houston at Methodist's Smith Tower.

We said "hi" and shake hands. Then I straight out told her that I was wanting a hysterectomy. Her reaction was "whoa". LOL. Guess she wasn't expecting that.

So I told her about my medical history. Talked about all the options out there and why they wouldn't work for me. Said getting a hysterectomy is really my only option unless I want to keep living with the issues I'm having and dealing with it.

So I'll be getting a total abdominal hysterectomy. I'll have a new incision, this one is called a bikini cut, as it will run horizontal right where the bikini line is at.

I'm not sure how long this surgery usually takes. I'll get getting a central line put in, thankfully!

Dr. Hunt doesn't have a problem working with my cardiologist and lung transplant doctor either, so thats great. I might even have to request my GI doctor to come see me as well, depending how my gastroparesis/nausea does.

Dr. Hunt also said that she would be calling me herself 1-2 between now and surgery date to make sure I'm doing okay, not sick, and to confirm her plan or if its going to change. I think she is going to phone Dr. Franklin and Dr. Harish to talk to them about my case between now and then as well.

Sounds like she wants to make sure everything is in order before surgery. I really like this doctor! She doesn't seem intimidated by my health issues either. She is willing to work with my other doctors. I get the feeling from her that she truly wants to help me. That, wanting to really help me, really means the most to me.

Since I live in Orange and not Houston. She said she wanted to get most of the stuff done today so that I didn't have to come back. So I had blood drawn, filled out papers, signed consents, talked to anesthesiologist, ultrasound on the outside of my abdomen to look at uterus/ovaries, pelvic exam and pap smear. I also already got surgical clearance from Dr. Franklin and Dr. Harish.

She said the day of surgery, I will report to the womans floor (main 6 NW) to check in, then go to pre-op holding area, then surgery, then either PACU or ICU (most likely PACU for a few hours, then to the transplant floor as long as there is a bed open there. Or after surgery, I may go straight to the transplant floor. If no beds on transplant floor, I think I will either go to the heart floor or the womans floor.

Not sure how long she expects me to stay in the hospital. We didn't discuss it. But I'm sure I'll stay longer than the normal hysterectomy patient.

Surgery date is June 9th at 8am at Methodist in Houston. I have to be there at 6am. Which means I have to get up at 2am to get there on time!

My transplant nurse also left me a message on my cell. Said that she got me an appointment to see a GYN (a different one from the one they told me to see to begin with) for June 9th at 2pm. Weird, its the same date as my surgery. Anyway, so I had to tell her to cancel that since I have a different doctor and will have surgery that date.

No comments: